Silver is one of the most durable metals available, and if well taken care of, can last a lifetime. It is also hypoallergenic and great for those with sensitive skin. One question we get a lot here at JAZLA Jewels is how to care for sterling silver jewelry. Let’s answer some common questions about silver!
How long will silver last?
Our jewelry can mean so much to us, so we want to make sure it will last as long as possible. High-quality sterling silver can last for decades if well taken care of. It’s important to clean it and store it properly when not being worn. Silver will also last longer if kept away from harsh chemicals such as lotions, perfumes, hand sanitizers, and many soaps.
Does sterling silver tarnish?
The short answer is - yes and no, just like any jewellery. Silver can tarnish when exposed to harsh chemicals, as well as swimming in pools and the ocean. Some climates can cause tarnishing too - those with high humidity or if you live close to the ocean. However, when taken measures to protect sterling silver jewelley, they can last a life-time without tarnishing.
How long does it take for sterling silver to tarnish?
It’s difficult to put an exact timeline on how long it takes for silver to tarnish. It can depend on many different factors such as what kind of chemicals you come into contact with, swimming in pools, and what beauty products you use. The better you take care of it, the longer it will last.
How to prevent sterling silver from tarnishing?
To prevent your sterling silver from tarnishing, keep it away from harsh chemicals, keep it dry, store it correctly, and clean and polish when needed. Take it off when washing your hands or swimming, and keep it in a secure bag or box when you’re not wearing it. You also want to take it off when exercising.
How to get rust off sterling silver?
Sterling silver shouldn’t rust, but does need love and care to last. Wipe it with a polishing cloth, wash it with some dish soap and water, or use an ionic cleaner. Storing it properly will help keep the piece from tarnishing.
Does sterling silver fade? What makes sterling silver fade? Does sterling silver turn colors?
While sterling silver won’t fade or turn colors, it can tarnish over time if not properly cared for. To keep your silver from tarnishing, keep it dry, and store it in a cool, dry place. And you always want to keep your silver away from harsh chemicals.
How can I clean my silver jewelry?
Here are 5 tips to clean and maintain your sterling silver:
1. Wipe with a polishing cloth: the easiest way to clean your silver!
2. Keep it away from chemicals: the best way to clean your silver is to prevent it from needing cleaning! Remove your silver jewellry when using harsh cleaning solutions, and keep it away from lotions and perfumes.
3. Take it off when at the beach or pool: Chlorine and salt water are very damaging to silver jewellry, so it’s best to take off your pieces when swimming.
4. Store your silver jewellry in a cloth pouch in an airtight plastic bag, away from sunlight.
5. Another great way to clean your silver jewellery is to soak it in warm water with a drop of dish soap, then rinse and dry with a clean cloth.
If you take the time to care for your silver jewelry there is no reason it can’t last for years. Since it’s durable and easy to clean, go ahead and wear your silver and enjoy it!